Tuesday 23 August 2016

Sa Pa Trekking

Went up north into the mountains to Sa Pa, probably the most beautiful place I have ever scene, although the weather still isn't great as it's monsoon season it didn't dampen the spectacular scenery for us, our two day tour booked through Sinh Cafe Tourist, was a bit of a rip off as we were supposed to do two days of trekking and because of 'weather conditions' which wasn't that bad we only ended up doing one but I think it was literally because our guide couldn't be bothered. Day one was amazing we were met by local village women from the Black Hmong tribe and they trekked with us 14km through the mountains down the paddy fields to the village where we were staying. The trek itself was really difficult especially as it had been raining the night before so it was pretty slippery, also someone had thrown away my shoes so I only had flip flops to scale down the mountain in which wasn't very useful. Anyway heres some photos of the amazing views on the way to the village.

This was my guide Sho (on the right) and her friend from the Black Hmong tribe who saved me multiple times from falling down the mountain. 

We stopped for lunch in a village about 5 hours into the trek where we met the two other tribes in the valley, all three tribes have their own language and their own traditional dress, the one annoying thing is people are constantly harassing you to buy bags and bracelets especially the children, who are incredibly talented at making you feel terrible, be warned once you buy something off one person they will all gather around you, but tourism is their main income so fair play. I went to Sa Pa to get some great portraits so I ended up bargaining with some of the children that I would buy a bracelet if I could take their photo, here were the results. 







The kids were so beautiful and such great saleswomen after having lunch and driving some bargains we then trekked onto the homestay whose name I can't actually remember,  It was amazing a cabin in the middle of the jungle with mattresses on the floor and mosquito nets, and out of the makeshift window (hole) you could see the whole mountain view and listen to the crickets and the rain. I could easily live somewhere like that for months it was so peaceful, I would 100% recommend visiting Sa Pa, and doing the trekking, just check the weather beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment