Monday 10 April 2017

Rural Australia

So for the last few weeks i've been tackling the dreaded 88 days farmwork required to get a second year on my working holiday visa. My first bit of advice would be, this time of year is the right time to start because of temperature, doing farmwork in the height of the australian summer would probably result in me dying as im a bit of a wimp when it comes to over 38 degrees. So im currently in NSW, 2 hours drive from the nearest big town (probably should of got my license before arriving) the first thing you need to know if your doing your farmwork is that you are going to be very isolated and without a license there is no way of escaping. I chose to go the farmhand route so the work would be varied rather than the stereotypical fruit picking trail where work would be repetitive and jobs could suddenly start or end. The work is difficult, the temperature dry, the climate dusty and the flies.. annoying, but if it means another year in this country its a sacrifice to my social life I am willing to make. Onto the benefits of farming; you will save money, the plus side of being isolated is there are no bars to waste your money in the only loss being internet shopping and thats if your in a place that has wifi. You will get fitter as the work is physical, and also depending on the time of year you'll probably get a decent tan even if its a farmers tan (sock tan lines). My favourite thing so far other than playing with the dogs, is the true beauty of the Australian countryside, the sunsets out here are insane and with virtually no light pollution the night skies are like nothing on Earth i've ever seen.






so those are a few idyllic snaps of what your down time is, pure peace and quiet. i'm usually more of a portrait girl but my god I could be converted to landscapes from being out here.
so if your a backpacker looking to do farm work, as I am actively enjoying the majority of it I would recommend being a farm hand over the nightmare that is fruit picking, theres fewer jobs for farmhands but you'll get much more out of it. If you thinking you can deal with the isolation instead of being with fellow backpackers in a work hostel then go for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment